The GSC provides several avenues for funding activities that support the graduate student community:
- Club funding can be applied for once a year, before the start of the academic year, and supports general club expenses, as well as pre-planned events
- Quickfunding requests can be made for impromptu (few days’ notice) events for up to $300
- Event funding requests can be made for larger events with advanced planning
Please keep in mind that all GSC funding and reimbursement requests you make are public! If you would like to review the GSC’s current balances and allocations, check out the GSC balance sheet⚖️, or if you want to inspect the GSC’s expenditures, you can review the GSC public transaction log.
To support your event or club we ask that:
- They are open to the entire grad student community and accessible to an English speaking audience
- They are advertised broadly. For events, send an email 48 hours in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be sent to all grad student after approval. Your event can also be listed under the GSC calendar & event page: https://gsc.caltech.edu/calendar/. For clubs, attend the club fair, and announce new clubs to the email@example.com mailing list to recruit.
- They are in compliance with Caltech policies⚖️.
- You consider complementary avenues for equipment and funding – e.g. equipment rentals from the Caltech Y, and funding from other sources.
- Funded requests be sponsored by a currently registered Caltech club or GSC committee. If you are not part of a club, you can ask a related club or the relevant GSC committee chair to let you host the event.
In brief, funding works like this:
- Get permission to spend money via club funding, quickfunding, or event funding requests
- Advertise your event/club to grad students, do your event, take some pictures, have a good time!
- Get reimbursed from the GSC by providing receipts, a picture or so of the event, and some details.
Details about all of these components are outlined below. If you have any questions contact the treasurer (gsctreasurer@).
All GSC funding is reimbursement based. You can track all submitted reimbursement requests here.Reimbursements typically take about 2 weeks to process. Please be patient! Remember, this is done on the free time of grad students, and still it’s actually faster than getting a check from the administration. Have ideas for how to make it better? Join the GSC! Important: reimbursement requests must be submitted no later than 30 days after the transaction, and all transactions in September of each year must be submitted no later than October 15th of the new academic year. Please see the appropriate reimbursement form below to submit a request for reimbursement. Please note that if your request is for an event, we expect you to provide details about the event (e.g. # of grad students in attendance), as well as pictures.
GSC club funding supports budgeted operational expenses of standing Caltech clubs. For more information about clubs see http://clubs.caltech.edu/
The deadline for requesting club funding for 2019-2020 is is 15 September 2019. To submit a request see the 2019 club funding request form.
If you have an idea for an on-campus event open to all graduate students, we can help make it happen with up to $300. Anyone can apply: individual students, groups of friends, sports teams, and clubs.
- All quickfunding requests must be received at least 24 hours prior to the event (not counting weekends and holidays). Because the process takes 48 hours, applicants are encouraged to submit their request at least 4 days ahead of time in order to allow time for sufficient advertising.
- Your reimbursement request should not be more than $300.
- The event must be spontaneous and not require more than 3 weeks of planning.
- The event must not have been budgeted for at the beginning of the year (if in the case of club funding). An exception to the requirement would be in the case that the attendance of an event that received club funding was more than expected and as a result the event ran over budget.
Events can also be funded at the monthly GSC meeting. To apply for event funding:
1) Fill out this form with a one page proposal at least 3 days prior to a GSC BoD monthly meeting. The proposal should include the amount requested, club funding received (if any), and club funding spent so far (if any).
2) Give a presentation (5 minutes maximum) to the GSC BoD about the event and answer Directors’ questions.
Additionally, if your event includes Caltech undergraduates, you can request ASCIT for event funding by filling out the application (http://donut.caltech.edu/w/images/5/5c/ASCIT_event_funding.pdf) and sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks prior to the event.